Custom Search

Thursday, June 5, 2008

I'm sorry about the distance...

I know how you must be feeling right now. You’re feeling somewhat slighted, like I’ve abandoned you in this vast blogosphere. You’re a faithful reader, but weeks have gone by, and I’ve given you nothing new to read, nothing to ponder, no new perspective on life in Uruguay. I could ask for forgiveness, or I could just confess what’s been keeping me so busy.

Here’s a list of the five most interesting things that occupy my time:

Portuguese: I’m taking Portuguese 101 at my university and absolutely loving it! Forget sudoku; learning languages is the best way to train your brain. Eu gosto muito do portuguese—é ótimo! Salamao e eu tentamos falá-lo cada dia por meio, a vezes durante uma hora! Espero viajar ao Brasil este ano também. Olá Rio de Janeiro!

Ceramics: As you know, Flor owns her own ceramics studio, which has meant that, largely by virtue of living with her, I also get to learn her craft. Don’t expect to find me at home on Monday and Wednesday afternoons; I’m throwing pots at the studio. And if you didn’t already know what you were getting for Christmas, now you do J

Dissertation research: I sometimes forget that I have to write a dissertation when I get back to the States. Such a small thing to forget, right? … Anyway, despite temporary gaps in my memory, my dissertation is really never too far from mind, which means I spend my time meeting with filmmakers, scouring bookstores for new works, and taking lots and lots of notes. Not a bad job, really.

HTML/English lessons: Once a week, I meet up with my friend María (we call her “la flaca,” which means skinny) to learn HTML. We are creating a website for a community center where I volunteer on Saturdays (see Piedras Blancas pictures). In exchange for her expertise, I help her with her English. We both agree that verbs in English are easy to conjugate, but that correct pronunciation can make you want to pull out your hair.

Auditions: This really only took up about an hour of my time, but, all the same, I feel like it’s worth mentioning. Flor, Lucas, and I auditioned for a television commercial last week. Flor and I got the short end of the stick, since all Lucas had to do was read a book with a pretend grandpa, and we had to hang laundry. Flor was a natural, singing and dancing while she worked. She hung the shirts up perfectly! I, domestically illiterate, was not so graceful, dropping pins and nervously hanging up shirts as quickly as I could, even if they were upside down. Maybe they’ll call me back for the commercial about the American woman living in Uruguay who can’t even hang her own clothes. I think I’m on to something there… Anyway, enjoy the pictures!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Rebbecca,

Just wondering if you happen to know anyone in Costa Rica? I'm going there for a conference at the end of July. If so, can you email me?

Many thanks!
Chuck

 
click here for a free hit counter
Get a free hit counter!