Custom Search

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

They exist!!!

In one of my recent blog entries, I doubted the existence of the afiladores, the modern Pied Pipers of Montevideo, who traverse city block after city block, in search of those in need of sharpened knives. Well, I’m here to confirm that seeing is believing, and afiladores really do exist.

I was working at the ceramics studio on Monday, when I heard the sound of a flute in the distance. One of my classmates mentioned, offhandedly, that an afilador was passing by. I think everyone thought it was strange (if not slightly rude) when, all of a sudden, I jumped out of my seat, flung open the door, and yelled out: ¡vení! I was only slightly embarrassed when the sharpener turned his bike around in the direction of the studio.

As Flor searched for something to sharpen, I asked permission to take a few pictures and explained my interest: This profession simply doesn’t exist where I come from, and I doubt people there would believe me if I couldn’t let them see for themselves. I guess we’re just kind of cynical like that. Plus, I fibbed and told him the pictures would soon appear on a Yankee website, making him instantly famous. He was suddenly willing to comply with my somewhat strange and totally unexpected request to document his work.

The movement generated from pedaling his bike turns a small metal wheel, which the afilador uses to sharpen everything from butter knives to household scissors.
Afiladores are really few and far between, my classmates tell me. This just happens to be a street where they commonly make their rounds.




This is my first lesson towards becoming an afiladora. Don't worry, Mom and Dad, I think I'll keep my day job.

4 comments:

CR said...

i think you should become a knife sharpener. totally. hope all is well!! it seems like yesterday i was a nervous kid sitting in the back row of your spanish 101 class =)

Anonymous said...

I do have many knives which need sharpening. We could use an alfiladora in our neighborhood. Celebrating the solstice in the Southern Hemisphere would be again so interesting. We had a fantastic time in Costa Rica (all 8 of us), a beautiful country full of beautiful people. The students start English there in first grade so they will be able to work in the tourist trade. All our guides thanked us for coming and giving them jobs.
Love, Miss Bev

Anonymous said...

Hey!
we have afiladores in Madrid too, but only around the older neighborhoods, reading your blog I remembered the sound of their flute, I wonder if it's the same as what you heard. Anyway, you are missed here in Vermont and many of us still benefit from things you did the last two years. Un abrazo muy fuerte,
Lena Santillana

rm.pittenger said...

Hello all! Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate the fact that you take the time to read. Take care!

 
click here for a free hit counter
Get a free hit counter!