Custom Search

Sunday, March 2, 2008

First impressions

I know you’ve been waiting, biting your nails to the quick, in fact, to finally hear about Uruguay; but, I’m sorry to say, you’ll have to keep waiting. I’ve been pondering this entry for over a year now, so I’m eager to finally transform my thoughts into words and share them with you.

In December of ‘06 I attended an RI conference for out-bound Ambassadorial Scholars. Most were excited, leaving for their host countries in just over six months; I, on the other hand, traveling to the Southern Hemisphere, would have to wait another calendar year. Suffice it to say that I didn’t share in my cohort’s enthusiasm.

The timing of the conference only exacerbated my already negative attitude: I just barely survived my most grueling semester yet, was anxious about grades, and as if I had nothing else on my mind, I had to drive three hours to a mandatory orientation for a trip that I only imagined would someday come to fruition.

Little did I know, however, that I’d hear at that conference, which I had considered such a colossal inconvenience, the words that currently direct my thoughts and actions.

Late into the evening, well past the span of my attention, a senior Rotarian spoke to us about his experience as a young Ambassadorial Scholar in the 50s and about his continued support of the program. Even when other Rotarians questioned the worth of the scholarship, he came quickly to its defense. With this in mind, though, he reminded us that Rotary diverts funds away from other programs, such as its effort to build water wells, in order to fund individual students.

He said something, then, that sounded more like a challenge than a question: “How can you make your experience as an Ambassadorial Scholar worth ten wells in Haiti?”

His question gave me chills, and to be honest with you, I still find it deeply moving.

The Rotarian was right: my time here in Uruguay will not generate any money, which could be used to help people at home or abroad. In fact, my time here represents a loss of funds for my home Rotary club and RI district.

But it’s only when we begin to think of capital as something intangible, something that only comes from human interaction and understanding, that the payoff of this opportunity becomes incalculable.

During the course of this year, I hope to keep you informed about my life here in Uruguay—always mindful of my place and purpose in the world—and my own attempts to affect change by participating positively in the lives of others.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Rebbecca,

I'm glad you remembered the comparison made by Ambassadorial Scholar and Past RI Director Ray Klingensmith. His remarks affected me also, and probably others.

rm.pittenger said...

Hi Robin. Thanks for your comment and for keeping up with my blog. I hope to send you news from my host Rotarians soon. Thanks for your support.

Rebbecca

Anonymous said...

Rebbecca, a very interesting outlook on it all. I myself have been considering putting up a blog for my time in Denmark and have pondered upon some of the finer points of what it is I wish to say. Though the Rotarian's comment was not direct towards me nor towards a group I was a part of, it gives me something to think on and to take with to my year abroad.

rm.pittenger said...

Hey Jenn! I think you should definitely consider maintaining a blog site during your year abroad; it's a great way to keep in touch, and you can get really creative with some of its features. I'm so excited that you're taking advantage of this great opportunity to see the world, and I know only good things will come of it. Let's keep sharing our impressions.

Un abrazo muy fuerte,
Rebbecca

 
click here for a free hit counter
Get a free hit counter!