Custom Search

Friday, March 21, 2008

When in Rome... or Montevideo, Uruguay

Just in case you were wondering where I´ve been since my last entry, I´m writing to inform you that most traditionally Catholic countries are on state-sanctioned vacation this week, which, in Spanish, is known as Semana Santa (Holy Week). Even Uruguayans, who celebrate their long history of secularism, take advantage of this week to escape from the city to one of the country´s many beach communities.

In the name of cultural immersion, I have decided to join my hosts here at la Pedrera, a small coastal town three hours to the north of the capital that serves as a refuge for amateur surfers, fishermen, and artisans alike. Once I am back in the capital and, like most Uruguayans, resigned to winter´s inevitable (and prompt) arrival, I will be happy to share my stories with you.

Until then, I´m turning of the computer and heading back to the beach.

No comments:

 
click here for a free hit counter
Get a free hit counter!